When medical marijuana was legalized in Pennsylvania in 2016, one of the regulations limited dispensaries to serving MMJ to each patient a maximum of one month at a time. Other rules forbade certain dispensary practices such as curbside pick-up and restricted approved caregivers to pick up medical marijuana on behalf of just one patient per visit.
For many patients abiding by the state’s original medical marijuana laws in Pennsylvania, medical conditions made it challenging to visit their local dispensaries regularly enough to meet their specific needs. Both patients and caregivers often found themselves frustrated by these and other regulations.
And ironically, many people found that the same condition that qualified them for an MMJ card made it difficult for them to access medical marijuana for their needs.
Thankfully, all of that changed this summer when state lawmakers approved legislation that implemented much-needed updates to medical marijuana regulations in Pennsylvania.
Changes to PA Medical Marijuana Rules & Regulations
Five years after medical marijuana was legalized, PA laws have been changed to provide improved accessibility to patients. Some of the updates extend specific efforts that began due to the COVID-19 pandemic, while others are brand-new.
Whether you’re a patient, a caregiver, or considering MMJ in the future, here’s what you need to know about the new Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Laws:
- Dispensaries can now provide patients with up to three months’ worth of MMJ. Whereas the original laws limited providers to dispensing MMJ month-by-month, the updated legislation increases it to a three-month limit of MMJ products.
- Curbside pick-up at dispensaries in PA is now permanently permitted. Many dispensaries utilized curbside pick-ups to provide patients with essential services during the height of the pandemic, specifically when indoor operations were at a halt. At the time, curbside service was allowed to minimize COVID-19 transmission risk without negatively impacting MMJ accessibility. Now, that measure has been extended and made permanent, so dispensaries can continue MMJ curbside pick-up in PA.
- MMJ caregivers can pick up on behalf of more than one patient. Now, caregivers can pick up products from dispensaries on behalf of more than one state-licensed MMJ patient in a single visit.
- New qualifying medical conditions have been added to the PA MMJ program. The list of qualifying conditions for medical marijuana in Pennsylvania has expanded to include cancer remission therapy and neuropathic conditions related to the central nervous system. As a result, more people may be eligible for an MMJ card, and additional research facilities will be employed to study the efficacy of using MMJ for these conditions.
- Other updates are making it easier for you to know that you’re getting quality MMJ. In addition to making medical marijuana more accessible, the state is also seeking to raise quality standards. These new mandates give growers and producers better methods for contamination removal and require them to provide the public with a complete list of any pesticides they use.
Explore the Best in Medical Marijuana in Pennsylvania at FLUENT
With dispensaries in Hanover and Mechanicsburg (plus an Annville dispensary coming soon), FLUENT Pennsylvania is your trusted provider for high-quality medical marijuana in PA.
Here, you can shop with confidence, knowing that you have selected a top-rated dispensary for your MMJ needs. Our selection of products features options from leading brands and cultivators, so you can easily find your favorites or try something new. In addition, FLUENT PA dispensaries are operated by our friendly and knowledgeable staff. At FLUENT PA, patients can get reliable answers to all their questions about strains, consumption options, medical marijuana regulations in PA, and more.
Whether you’re a new PA MMJ patient or have had your card for years, come discover the difference that premium medical marijuana can make in your life. So visit one of our medical marijuana dispensaries in Pennsylvania to start shopping now.
Find and visit a Fluent PA dispensary near you or shop at one of our dispensary locations below:
Featured Image: TDC Photography/Shutterstock